What to look out for in Sheffield in 2017
Well 2016 was a big year, but we’re not resting on our laurels – Sheffield has been forging ahead with inward investments, major developments and business growth and the pace isn’t slowing down in 2017. If you are keen to stay informed, we’ve put together a handy list of things to look out for next year:
- Major investment announcements involving some of the world’s most advanced manufacturers and iconic brands.
- The Light Cinema opening on The Moor.
- A £60m Ikea store opening in Carbrook in July.
- The continued development of the Sheffield Retail Quarter.
- Kuckoo, a boutique bar chain based in Chester, taking over the former Tropeiro premises at Leopold Square and aiming to open in March.
- Developer interest in Parkwood Springs
- The Outdoor City Weekender on 17-19 March. Headline events include Sheffield Adventure Film Festival (SHAFF), the Magnificent Seven cycling challenge, the Climbing Works International Festival (CWIF) and a brand new city centre mountain biking event - the Howard Street Dual.
- The 10th year of the Conference Ambassador Programme
- The Advanced Manufacturing Innovation District (AMID) will have a public launch in 2017, raising AMID’s profile and further developing international collaborations that deliver local opportunities for growth.
- Expansion of high-tech research facilities around Factory 2050 will continue to attract an ever-growing cluster of Europe’s leading manufacturers to the AMID.
- Development of Sheffield Hallam University’s Advanced Wellbeing Research Centre (AWRC) at the Olympic Legacy Park (OLP) will continue throughout 2017 and form an integral part of the Innovation District.
- Business Sheffield events, programmes and services that support people to start-up and grow their business and help established businesses in the city respond to the Brexit agenda; tackling issues around export, talent retention and innovation.
If you are thinking of starting a business in Sheffield or want to grow your existing business then get in touch with our team at Business Sheffield. If you are looking to relocate your firm to the city and want to understand ‘why Sheffield?’ then get in touch with Invest Sheffield.